Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bucks fall again to SEC

So fans are wondering why the Buckeyes haven't been able to make the past two BCS title games more competitive. I don't think it can be answered by saying the SEC is just better ... I think that's bunk. I think if these two teams play 10 times, the Buckeyes win 4 or 5 (depending on where they played). They're not the Buffalo Bills, and reaching back-to-back title games IS quite an achievement in and of itself. That being said, their problem in this game and last year wasn't coming out flat ... they had the kick return for a TD to begin last year's game and they got out to a 10-0 lead last night. I was just surprised their defense wasn't able to put more pressure on Flynn and control the line of scrimmage a little bit better. I mean, the Bucks have some very talented players throughout their defense ... at least three of them are going to be first-round draft picks and the rest aren't too shabby either.

Also, I wonder how early most Bucks fans gave up. I felt like OSU was still in it down 31-10, only because there was so much time left. Then Jenkins got that INT and almost returned it for a touchdown, and I figured they still had a chance. I turned it off with maybe five minutes left. But my friend who's an OSU fan sent a text message early in the second half that said something like, "I still hate the SEC," and hinted he was going to bed. I wonder how late the casual fan stayed up ... probably not very late. It's tough to watch a 31-10 game, no matter how much time is left ... only because how often does the team on the wrong side of that score come back?

Anyway, here's some better analysis ... Stewart Mandel consistently does a fine job with his coverage ... he knows college football better than anyone I know and he's been in New Orleans for the past 12 days or something ridiculous so suffice it to say he's got some insight.

Also, here's the game story.

No comments: