Friday, November 7, 2008

This and that

• The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Chuck Finder wrote a must-read feature about Mardy Gilyard and Garrett Monroe (my 7-year-old next-door neighbor who Gilyard hugged after steamrolling him during the South Florida game last Thursday). Finder got some great quotes from Gilyard about what went down.

• Latest on Brian Kelly: ESPN.com's Chris Low says Kelly is among four candidates on Tennessee's preliminary list. Interestingly, Michigan State head coach (former UC head coach) Mark Dantonio and former Ohio coordinator Troy Calhoun are among "some of the other names that could end up on the Vols' list."

Newsy blog post from John Fay about what Walt Jocketty told him at the General Managers Meetings. Apparently the Reds won't be pursuing Khalil Greene.

• NEW YORK - The NFL fined Jacksonville Jaguars defensive tackle John Henderson and Cincinnati Bengals guard Andrew Whitworth on Friday for fighting during Sunday's game.

Henderson and Whitworth exchanged punches after Henderson knocked off Whitworth's helmet, then appeared to try to gouge his eyes. Both players were penalized and ejected Sunday. They were fined $10,000 apiece on Friday.

"I just pushed him past the quarterback, and he fell to the ground," Whitworth said. "But he held onto my facemask and ripped my helmet off. I turned to go back to the play, and the next thing I knew, I felt him grabbing at my eyeballs. I really didn't know what to do when someone's fingers are trying to dig into my eyes."

• Non-local links of the day: Facebook proves to be problematic for Texas backup center Buck Burnette as well as New England Patriots cheerleader Caitlin Davis.

No comments: