Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fantasy football news/notes

I'm resuming my fantasy football blog ... I was a contributor to Cincinnati.Com's old fantasy football blog, but here's the deal ... I don't like to spend a lot of time talking about my fantasy squads (like my co-contributors for that blog used to do) because you don't care and you shouldn't and I know that. Instead, I'll try to provide useful info, including "Who to Start," "Who to Bench," "Help Wanted," "Favorable matchups," etc. I found it's easier to do and predict after about Week 3, once players have shown how useful they're going to be, defenses have shown how strong or weak they are, that sort of thing. So here's the (brief) first installment ...

HELP WANTED (players who might be available in your league, who you might want to consider picking up)

Michael Bush, Oakland: Grab him before they announce (tomorrow) how severe Justin Fargas' groin injury is, because something tells me Fargas will miss at least one game. Darren McFadden is also dealing with turf toe. Bush had 90 yards on 16 carries with a touchdown after Fargas left the game on Sunday. The only problem I'm having (and here's a RARE occasion where I'll actually reference one of my fantasy squads) is figuring out who to drop to make room for Bush in my ESPN league. I have a bad feeling that dropping DeAngelo Williams, Chris Perry or Steve Slaton to make room for Bush might come back to haunt me.

Darren Sproles, San Diego: Did you see his Week 2 numbers? Sick. I know they've got LT, but he's a little banged-up and you never know. I picked up Sproles in two leagues for the same reason I made sure to get Michael Turner when he was LT's backup ... because you never know when he's going to end up with ridiculous numbers for a backup. The trick is knowing when to start him.

John Carlson, Seattle: He had six catches for 78 yards on Sunday, and Mike Holmgren says he doesn't expect Deion Branch or Bobby Engram to return until after the team's Week 4 bye. Which pretty much makes Carlson a top 10 tight end this week, which is something you can't safely say about Dallas Clark right now.

J.T. O'Sullivan/Isaac Bruce/Bryant Johnson, San Francisco: Might be a good time to start believing. And they play Detroit this week.

No comments: